THE HAIRDRESSER


I sit in this filthy market square
as beaded sweat crawl on my brow
and fall on my face like tears
wondering
how my heart got crushed
by his elephant feet with no apologies

My dry fingers move swiftly
Unlike my swindled heart and mind
Braiding  corn-rows to live on.
Each time he ruffled my locks,
Erupted –a volcano in my tummy

I switch left and right to calm
My suckling straddled to my back
Wishing
I could unstrap myself from
the smooth lies he strangled
around my neck and forget the taste
he left in my mouth

I twist the hair like a maestro
as my soul mocks at my naivety
His tongue that told the sweet-bitter lies,
danced in my mouth a month and five years

My blood pumps not from love or hate
But  indifference
Which makes me recoil at the touch of a man.



Comments

Popular Posts